Tuesday, November 1, 2011

2011 Down Syndrome Buddy Walk

Different.  Special.  Hard to understand.

These words are just a few of the ones I've heard used for people that have some sort of a disability.  And I'm ashamed to say that sometimes it's people that I know, or even my own family, that don't really have a clear understanding of what it truly means to have a disability.

Growing up, my dad worked for the Human Development Center in my hometown in Arkansas.  I spent a lot of time there, especially when my parents got divorced when I was 8.  I would go there while he worked and am grateful for the time I spent there and the people I met.  I feel like it helped shape the way I am today by giving me an understanding of what it meant to live the way the people at the Center did.  So many of them had talents and knowledge that could be envied by others.  I met some amazing artists and other talented swimmers.  But most of all, I met really amazing people, whose hearts were bigger and more accepting than a lot of people I've met since then.

About two years ago, one of my best friends, Amanda, was blessed with her very first niece!  I remember going with her to the hospital the day Biyanca was born. I remember standing there with her family as they passed her around- crying, laughing, talking about who she looked like and just marveling at this beautiful blessing they were holding in their arms.

A few months later, the news came- Biyance had Down syndrome.  For those of you that are unfamiliar with Down syndrome, you can read more info about it here.  As with any news of this kind, there was a huge struggle for this family that was not easy.  I remember thinking about all of the amazing people I had known in Arkadelphia (Arkansas) with Down syndrome and how much fun they were and how their bright smile would light up the whole town!  I thought 'I know this will be hard for them in the beginning, but I know that God doesn't give us anything we can't handle'.  I prayed and prayed for their strength while they were not only learning about this condition, but helping to raise a newborn baby with this condition.

As always, God never lets us down, and Biyanca has grown and blossomed into one of the cutest toddlers I've ever seen (although I may be a little biased).  Yes, she's different.  Different in the way that she loves just about everyone.  Yes, she's special.  Everything about her is special.  And yes, she can be hard to understand.  But only if you don't take the time to understand her.  And now her family is doing all that THEY can to help others that might be going thru the same things that they did.

Here in Broward county, there is an annual "Buddy Walk" for Down syndrome that they participate in, and I wanted to share some of this year's event with you.  It truly is an amazing experience to see all of the support, generosity and love that happens every year in October, and this year was no different!  I've shared pictures from the event below as well as the link to donate if you want to help make a difference in these lives!

Beautiful morning by the beach for the Buddy Walk!

My friend (and Biyanca's aunt), Amanda on the left.  And a couple of other Starbucks employees that came out to support and participate.  Thanks Kealan & Christina!

This year, Amanda's family made these adorable bows out of duct tape!  They were a hit!

Ready to walk!

Ladies and gentlemen, Biyanca!

She LOVES this game!

Tons of fun with cotton candy :)

My husband's boss has a son, Darren, who also has Down syndrome.  He was dancin' the day away!

With the star of the show :)

Biyanca & Christina

So much love in that little body- and she loves to share it!

To donate to the Broward Gold Coast Down Syndrome Organization, click here.  Thanks so much for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment