Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Christmas Traditions

Since this week has been one of pulling out Christmas decoration boxes, putting up Christmas trees, wrapping gifts, etc., I've been thinking a lot about my family's various Christmas traditions.  Since they are traditions, I don't usually analyze their meaning or why we do them, they just ARE a part of our holiday.  And I find it so interesting that no one really has any of the same traditions as I do.

A lot of my friends do things with their families that I have never heard of before.  My husband's family, for instance, do not do stockings.  In Chile, this was never a tradition.  They do; however, go to midnight mass and when they return home, Santa has already visited their house.  A lot of my friends have a big Christmas dinner, whereas my family always has a big breakfast and then that's it for the day.  I know people that have a tradition of doing all of their shopping on Black Friday, and then others that do it ALL on Christmas Eve.  The spectrum is so wide and I love that!

Sebastian and I have talked about the kinds of traditions we will incorporate into our own family someday.  Which ones we'll keep from our two families, and which new ones we'd like to add.  For example, we will still go to my mom's house to help her put up her tree while we exchange holiday pajamas and listen to the Kenny & Dolly Christmas album.  This will happen every year.  On the other hand, neither of our families ever had real Christmas trees; they were always the big artificial ones that you dug out of the attic and spent an hour straightening out the smushed branches.  :)  For the past two years, we've gotten a real tree, and we can't wait until we're on our way to a Christmas tree farm to choose a tree in the snow with our family.

There's something pretty magical about the whole "carrying on" of family traditions.  In a world full of growing up and growing out of things, these traditions have a certain pull that can bring us back to a really special place, even if only for a few weeks out of the year.

So here's to you and your family's traditions- whatever they are and wherever you may be.  Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment